During the construction of a road in 1974 outside the walls on the south side of the Old City of Jerusalem, vestiges of the three-thousand year history of Jerusalem were found under meters of debris. On this site alone remains were found of the First and Second Temple periods of Jewish history, the subsequent Roman era, a Byzantine church, an early Muslim palace, Crusader fortifications, and the wall itself, constructed in 1541 by Sulayman the Magnificent. In order to preserve and exhibit these remarkable remains, our design included a road set back from the wall and raised above the level of the archaeology, creating Beit Shalom Park along a half-kilometer stretch of land flanking the wall. The wall, itself, contains notable elements from many periods, and all new stonework was purposely distinguished to set it apart from these remnants. A footpath leads visitors through the park, past marked antiquities. An area, reserved for future excavation, is planted with olive trees and native grasses. In important junctions and gathering places, native sycamore and ash provide shade.
Old City south wall, Jerusalem
Shlomo Aronson, Arthur Kutcher, Peter Bugod, David Sagi